Today is Safety Internet Day, which is a perfect opportunity to start a conversation with your child/children about ‘how to be safe online’. The internet can be a wonderful place to learn new things, to connect to the world and a place where you can experience enjoyment. However, due to current situations, the internet has become an integral part of our lives. Consequently, we need to make sure we continually reflect and ensure that your family is safe online.
Some ways you can help keep your whole family safe;
- Revisit your parental controls on all devices and with your internet provider
- Create a ‘whole’ family plan to discuss how you all can keep safe online
- Give set times for screen time and ensure everyone has regular breaks away from the screen
- 45 minutes before bedtime put devices away
- Regularly monitor what your child/children are doing while they are online
- Create an open environment where your child/children can come to you to talk about anything they are worried or concerned about
- Consider devices to be in a common room in your house where you can supervise rather than being in a bedroom
You will find some additional resources below to support you further.
If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with the school.